CV of Carla Seatzu (updated on June 8th, 2023)
Full Professor of Automatic Control (ING-INF/04) at the Dep. of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, University of Cagliari (since December 2019).
- Jul 2000 ¸ Feb. 2002: Post-doc student, research project “Identification and state reconstruction of discrete event systems modeled with Petri nets” (supervisor: A. Giua), Dep. of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, University of Cagliari.
- Mar. 2002 ¸ Sep. 2011: Assistant Professor (ING-INF/04) at the Dep. of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, University of Cagliari.
- Oct. 2011 ¸ Nov. 2019: Associate Professor (ING-INF/04) at the Dep. of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, University of Cagliari.
- February 1996: Master degree in Electrical Engineering (110/110 cum laude), University of Cagliari. Thesis: “Lyapunov transformations for the stabilization of linear time-variant systems. An application to the movement of suspended loads” (supervisor: Prof. G. Usai, Univ. of Cagliari).
- January 2000: Ph.D in Electronic Engineering and Computer Science, University of Cagliari. Thesis: "Decentralized control of open-channel hydraulic systems" (supervisor: Prof. G. Usai, Univ. of Cagliari).
The research activity of Carla Seatzu is mainly focused on the following topics: discrete event systems, hybrid systems, networked control systems, manufacturing systems, transportation systems.
Main institutional positions at the University of Cagliari
- Coordinator of the Laurea Degree in Electrical, Electronic and Computer Engineering (July 2018 - May 2023 ).
- Vice-Coordinator of the PhD Program in Electronic and Computer Engineering (March 2014 – January 2019).
- Vice-President of the Faculty Committee of Engineering and Architecture (November 2014- July 2018).
Main Editorial activity
Senior Editor of the international journals:
- IEEE Control Systems Letters (2017 - 2022),
- IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering (since 2020),
- International Journal of Robotics and Research (since 2023).
Department Editor of the international journal:
- Discrete Event Dyanamic Systems (since 2020).
Associate Editor of the international journals:
- IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control (2013-2019),
- Discrete Event Dyanamic Systems (2015-2020),
- IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering (2014-2017),
- Nonlinear Analysis: Hybrid Systems, Elsevier (2007-2016).
Main contributions to the organization of international scientific events
- General Co-Chair of the international conference:
- ETFA’2013: 18th IEEE Int. Conf. on Emerging Technologies in Factory Automation (Cagliari, Italy), September 2013 (with R. Zurawski, ISA Group, San Francisco, CA, USA).
- Program Co-Chair of the international conference:
- ETFA’2018: 23rd IEEE Int. Conf. on Emerging Technologies in Factory Automation (Turin, Italy), September 2018 (with C. Mahuela, Univ. of Zaragoza, Spain),
- CASE’2024: 20th IEEE Int. Conf. on Automation Science and Engineering (Bari, Italy), August 28-September 1st, 2024.
- Workshop Chair of the international conferences:
- CDC2016: 55th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, (Las Vegas, USA), December 2016;
- MED2021: 29th Mediterranean Control Conference, (Bari, Italy), June 2021.
- Chair of Work-in-Progress and Industry Practice Papers for the international conference:
- ETFA’2015: 20th IEEE Int. Conf. on Emerging Technologies in Factory Automation, (Luxembourg), Settembre 2015.
- Special Session Chair of the international conference:
- CASE’2015: 11th IEEE Conf. on Automation Science and Engineering (Gothenburg, Sweden), Agosto 2015.
- Chair of the National Organizing Committee of the international conferences:
- ADHS06: 2nd IFAC Conf. on the Analysis and Design of Hybrid Systems (Alghero, Italy), Giugno 2006.
- ETFA’2013: 18th IEEE Int. Conf. on Emerging Technologies in Factory Automation (Cagliari, Italy), Semptember 2013.
- Member of the Steering Committee of the folloowing series of international conferences:
- ETFA: Emerging Technology in Factory Automation (dal 2013).
- Senior Editor of the IEEE Conference on Automation Science and Engineering (2017 - 2021).
- Associate Editor of the Editorial Board of the following societies:
- IEEE Control System Society: for the American Control Conference and the Conference on Decision and Control (2006-2016);
- IEEE Robotics and Automation Society: for the Int. Conference on Robotics and Automation (2011, 2015);
- IEEE Robotics and Automation Society: for the Conference on Automation Science and Engineering (2012-2015).
- Lecturing and Research Fellowship Xidian University, Xi'an (China)- Project Grant No. 2017XZ09009 - Fault diagnosis and opacity of discrete event systems.
- Chair of the IFAC Technical Committee 1.3 on Discrete Event and Hybrid Systems (since 2020).
- Member of the Board of Governors of the IEEE Control Systems Society (2020-21).
- Vice-chair of the IFAC Technical Committee 1.3 on Discrete Event and Hybrid Systems (2017-2020).
- Co-chair of the IEEE IES Technical Committee on Factory Automation - Subcommittee on Industrial Automated Systems and Control (since 2010).
Activities in research projects
- Coordination of international projects
- Local coordinator of the Project “Compositional Techniques for Analysis of Safety Critical Interconnected Systems” supported by Republic of Cyprus and European Regional Development Fund within the Programme for Research, Technological Development and Innovation 2009-2010, coordinated by Prof. C. Hadjicostis, Univ. of Cyprus (2012 – 2014).
- Coordination of projects supported by Region Sardinia
- Project of basis and fundamental research supported by Region Sardinia, (two years in 2018 - 2020), RASSR05871: “Metodi formali per il MOnitoraggio di SIstemi dinamici Multi-Agente (MOSIMA)”.
- Project of basis and fundamental research supported by Region Sardinia, Regional Law 7, 2008 (2010-2012): “Identification, state reconstruction and diagnosis of discrete event systems using Petri nets”.
- POR FESR Sardinia 2014 – 2020, Line 1 Action 1.1.3, Strategy 2 “Create job opportunities encouraging the competitiveness among enterprises” (2017-2019): “UNICARASAU: Optimization of the production process of Carasau bread for the improvment of the automation level and the plant productivity”.
- Project of fundamental research or basis research supported by Region Sardinia, 2017 (2019-2020): “Formal methods for the monitoring of multi-agent dynamical systems”.
- Participation to European research projects and networks of excellence
- 2004: HYCON “Hybrid Control: Taming Heterogeneity and Complexity of Networked Embedded Systems”, VI programma quadro (member of the unity of Siena in the European network of excellence).
- 2008-2011: EUROPEAN PROJECT “Distributed Supervisory Control of Large Plants – DISC” (FP7 - ICT 2007-2), (Coordinator A. Giua, Univ. of Cagliari).
- 2010-2012: Network of Excellence HYCON2 “Highly-complex and networked control systems” (FP7 – ICT 2009-5), (Coordinator F. Lamnabhi-Lagarrigue, Lab. Des Signaux et Systemes L2S, CNRS, Paris, France).
Visits to foreign universities and research centres
- January 1998: Visiting student at CEMAGREF, Institut de Recherche pour l’Ingegnerie de l’Agriculture et de l’environement, Montpellier, France.
- December 2004, October 2006, February 2008: Visiting researcher at the Dep.to Informática e Ingeneiría de Sistemas, Centro Politécnico Superior, Zaragoza, Spain.
- October 2006: Visiting Professor at the Aalborg University, Department of Software and Media Technology, Esbjerg, Denmark.
- January 2013, January 2015, January 2017: Visiting Professor at the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, USA.
- Febbraio 2013: Visiting Professor at CINVENSTAV, Centro de Investigación y de Estudios Avanzados del Instituto Politécnico Nacional, Guadalajara, Mexico.
- October 2014: Visiting Professor at the University of Cyprus, Nicosia, Cyprus.
- August 2017: Visiting Professor at the Zhejiang Gongshang University, Hangzhou, China.
- June, November 2017: Visiting Professor at the Xidian University, Xi’an, China.
Plenary Speaker in international conferences:
- 8th Int. Workshop on Verification and Evaluation of Computer and Communication Systems, Bejaia, Algeria, September 2014), Title: “Fault diagnosis of discrete event systems using Petri nets”.
- 21th Int. Conference on System Theory, Control and Computing, (Sinaia, Romania, October 20, 2017), Title: “Verification of opacity in discrete event sytems”.
- 14th Workshop on Discrete Event Systems, (Sorrento Coast, Italy, June 1, 2018), Title: “Partially observed discrete-event systems: from state estimation to intrusion detection”.
- 2th IEEE Int. Conf. on Emerging Technology and Factory Automation (Zaragoza, Spain, September 2019), Title: “Modeling, analysis and intelligent control of automated manufacturing systems using Petri nets”.
- 15th International Conference on Computer and Automation Engineering (Sidney, Australia, March 3-5, 2023), Title: “Partially observed discrete-event systems: state of the art and open issues”.
- 9th International Conference on Control, Decision and Information Technologies (Rome, Italy, July 3-6, 2023), Title: “State estimation and event inference in discrete event systems”.
- Author of one textbook (in Italian)
- Co-editor of 2 international books
- Proceedings of 2 international conferences
- Co-editor of 4 special issues/sessions in international journals
- Author/co-author of 94 papers on international journals
- Co-author of 15 chapters in international books
- Author/co-author of 170 papers in the proceedings of international conferences
Bibliometric indices (June 8th, 2023)
- Papers on Scopus: 271
- Number of citations on Scopus: 5124
- Number of citations on Google Scholar: 7397
- H index on Scopus: 38
- H index on Google Scholar: 45